The main focus of traditional Western allopathic medicine is mainly on treating illnesses, while lifestyle medicine tries to address their root causes. Both of those branches perfectly complement each other, and in most cases, the lifestyle medicine practitioners combine them in their everyday work.
How Is Lifestyle Medicine Practiced?
Studies show that in many cases, the human body can heal itself when it stops dealing with the factors that cause the disease. There were cases (like with type 2 diabetes or cardiovascular diseases or hypertension) when a condition that had been once considered irreversible turned out to be reversible as a result of significant lifestyle changes. The most important goal of every lifestyle medicine practitioner is to successfully explain the possible alternatives to the patients and motivate them to take the effort and improve their lives.
Six Key Pillars of Lifestyle Medicine
Lifestyle medicine is typically broken down into six key pillars:
- Diet – needs to be whole-food and mostly based on plant ingredients. Diet recommendations are very patient-specific. Please discuss this with one of our providers for more information.
- Physical exercise – should be done on a regular basis. Type, duration, frequency, and intensity are also specific. Please discuss this with one of our providers before starting an exercise regimen.
- Stress management – proper relaxation techniques should be acquired
- Sleep – a patient ought to get enough sleep. This can be broken down into light sleep, deep sleep and REM sleep. We have ways our patients can track their sleep.
- Risky substances avoidance – limiting or preferably quitting alcohol, nicotine, or other drugs. We have helped countless patients reduce or completely quit these substances. Feel free to reach out to us for more information.
- Good social connections – finding a supportive community who will help the patient to stick to a healthy lifestyle
Lifestyle Medicine in Orlando – Chau Medical Group
If you are looking for qualified and experienced practitioners of lifestyle medicine in Orlando, you are more than welcome to visit our clinic. At Chau Medical Group, we believe that a well-constructed and personalised lifestyle routine can go a long way and show successful results. That is why we do our utmost to help our patients stay in good shape and avoid lifestyle-related illnesses. Give us a call at (407) 273-9410 or fill out our contact form to learn about the soonest available visits.